Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers in Indian women. At the onset of this cancer, a lump can be felt in the breasts or mammogram may show some abnormalities. The cancer is uncontrollable cell multiplication in the body and this excessive cell growth in women’s breast can cause breast cancer. If a breast cancer is diagnosed, it is very important for the doctor to know the stage of the cancer. This will help the doctor to recommend the right treatment and surgery for the cancer. However, one may compare and book surgery packages online for breast cancer. There are many reputed hospitals offering such facilities.
The very first symptom of breast cancer is usually a lump that is felt in the breast or armpit. Following are some other symptoms that may be noticed:
- Change in the shape of the nipple ( inverted or sunken )
- Pain in the breasts and armpits
- Change in the skin colour around the breasts
- Any discharge from the nipples, like pus or blood
- Any kind of rash on or round the nipples
- Scaling, peeling or flaking of the breast skin
- Any change in the size of the breasts
Most of the times, the presence of lumps does not necessarily indicate presence of cancer. However, it is recommended to get in touch with the doctor if any of the above symptoms are noticed.
Once the doctor suspects the presence of cancer, various diagnoses like breast examination, imaging tests (MRI scan, ultrasound scan and mammogram) and biopsy may be suggested. The diagnosis also helps the doctor detect
- The stage of cancer
- The size of the tumour
- How far the cancer has spread
- If any other organs are affected
The doctor may recommend various treatment options based on the diagnosis. Surgery, Radiation therapy, Hormone therapy or Chemotherapy may be suggested. However, the treatment mainly depends on stage of the cancer and other medical conditions of the patient.
In some cases, the doctor may opt for mastectomy to treat the cancer. Mastectomy is performed at almost all major multi-speciality hospitals in India. The mastectomy cost in India may vary according to the procedure. However, the tentative cost of single mastectomy may range from 70,000 to 2, 00,000 rupees. Mastectomy involves the surgical removal of the entire breast. In some cases, the doctor may suggest removal of both the breasts. There are different kinds of mastectomy:
- Simple mastectomy or total mastectomy: The entire breast, nipple and areola are removed.
- Skin-sparing mastectomy: In this procedure, the skin around the breast is left and the breast tissue, nipple and areola are surgically removed.
- Modified radical mastectomy: This procedure involves removal of lymph nodes under the arms while performing simple mastectomy.
- Radical mastectomy: This complex and extensive surgery involves the removal of entire breast along with lymph nodes and pectoral muscles.
- Double mastectomy: When the mastectomy is performed on both the breasts, the surgical procedure is called double mastectomy.
Any Breast Cancer Surgery may have some complications or risks associated with it. The risks in case of mastectomy may include intense pain, swelling, numbness, shoulder stiffness, bleeding, hard scarring, infection or blood build up at the surgery site. If any such complications are noticed, it is recommended to seek medical help. A breast reconstruction surgery is also considered by many women after the mastectomy.